Leader: Ian Mitchell
Ian Mitchell will lead a walk looking at canals and railways between Long Eaton and the River Trent. This area has been an important transport intersection since the connection from the Erewash Canal into the River Trent opened in 1779, and when the Midland Counties Railway opened in 1840 this was where the lines from Derby, Nottingham and Leicester met in a great triangular junction. A railway to canal interchange facility was developed, and in 1862 a railway station known as ‘Trent’ was built specifically for passengers changing trains. The station closed in 1967, but most of the canal and railway lines are still in use today, and many of the early features survive.
Organised by the Industrial Archaeology Section
Members only - booking arrangements have been notified in the Summer 2021 Newsletter