The Derbyshire Archaeological Society was founded in 1878 to encourage interest in the County’s archaeology and natural history. The Society was initially called the Derbyshire Archaeological and Natural History Society but the natural history side was dropped in 1961. The Society first published its Journal in 1879 and it has been published every year since. The Society also publishes Derbyshire Miscellany (a six monthly local history magazine) and a six monthly newsletter.
The Society funds archaeological and historical research with grants to volunteer groups, schools, museums and academic/professional researchers. It supports local historical societies in studying the historical environment, holds study days, lectures and visits.
Membership of the Society is open to everyone with an interest in the archaeology and history of Derbyshire.
Sections (Special Interest Groups)
The Society has four active sections – Archaeological Research Group (ARG), Architectural Section (AS), Local History Section (LHS) and Industrial Archaeology Section (IAS). Each group is responsible its own programme of lectures during the winter months and visits during the summer months.
The menu items on the left will take you to more information about each Section, details of our research grants and data protection policy, and links to a selection of relevant local, regional and national organisations.