The bequest made to the Society by the late Monica Pilling enables the Society to award grants towards conservation and research projects being undertaken by members. The project should be substantially related to Derbyshire and be classifiable under one any of the following groups: Archaeology, Architectural Study, Local History or Industrial Archaeology.
If you are a member of the Society please visit the Members Area for more information.
Some of the topics for which grants have been awarded are:
- Investigations to find evidence of Roman activities in Belper – grant to fund dating and recording of pottery and ferrous material.
- Historic railway track exhibit at the Golden Valley Light Railway, Butterley – grant to cast replica Cromford and High Peak Railway fish bellied rails.
- Bassoon from a 19th century church band at Church Broughton – grant to fund conservation of instrument and glazed case for future protection and display.
- Saint Anne’s Church, Derby – grant to fund a photographic record to illustrate a history of the church.
- Medieval and post-medieval archaeology in Castleton – grant to fund analysis of pottery finds